Saturday 16 November 2013

Notation or not?


I've taken a range of different approaches to KS3 music over the years. Up until last year I've avoided getting wrapped up in music notation, seeing it as a barrier to learning for the majority.  But I've changed my mind - or rather I have come to terms with my suppressed objection to this approach.
There's no doubt that there are many great musicians who do not read music (or at least claim not to). Musicianship can develop without notation, of course.  But for some time I have informally asked my Year 7s what they want to learn. Top of the list comes "be able to read music". Of course, the answer could be quite different in another school.

But that's not the main reason for changing my mind. My main reason for teaching KS 3 pupils notation is independence. Once the basics are learnt, new doors are opened for the pupil - and they stay open forever.

Ok, I realise that at  Humphrey Perkins I might be more fortunate than many. We have invested in wind band instruments for Year 7s, and our timetable facilitates having only two Year 7 classes at any one time thus making this system affordable.

The detail of our curriculum may be the subject of another post, but the point of this one is to say that teaching notation need not be a barrier - in fact it can only be a good thing. For the vast majority of school pupils in Britain, any encounter with music learning some time in their future can only be enhanced by an ability to read staff notation. 


No comments:

Post a Comment